Hello, you may have noticed my profile image is different. I felt it was appropriate to have my first mini-project be an update of this. I finally have something more current for my application portfolio!
Since the portfolio requires evidence of a process for a few items, I’ll touch on it a bit here.
I think I created the old blue hat when I was still at Polytech (2012?). It was just a thing I made in two hours using Adobe Flash so I could have some kind of icon.
For the new header I decided to try using Inkscape for the first proper time. It’s not as intuitive to draw with as Flash but it does seem to have more features.
I wanted to do this “properly” & semi-treat it like I was working with a client (even if it was myself). I went through different stages of development: base concepts to development to final image. I did consider something other than a wizard’s hat (like a tower or a magic tome) but the hat has become a personal icon for me.
Given that my WordPress theme only really allows for 120 x 120 pixel images, I had to keep it fairly simple, though that didn’t stop me from expanding on it & making it more personal. The face is based on my own, though I didn’t want it to resemble me too much (it feels weird drawing your own face). The ‘hand on chin’ gesture is also something I actually do in real-life, so it felt apt to include it. The hand turned out better than I thought it would; it’s too easy to make hands look goofy.
I’m pretty happy with it, even if it somehow feels cheesier; feels like me 🙂 .
Next mini-project is going to be an encounter card design for a boardgame concept. The next few weeks are going to be busier for me so this will probably take me over a fortnight; may not have time for another before November 30th.