Hello, I feel it’s time to change something about how I do this blog, which may be reflected in how its been going lately.
You see I’m at the stage in my life where people I’ve known from tertiary study & earlier are now leaving my life, & I’m also at the stage where I need to decide where I go. Cool people I’ve met in recent years, & some I’ve known for the majority of my life, are gone now. In actuality I’ve been at this stage for the past couple of years but now I feel it drawing to a close.
My basic plan is to move on to a different city in the next year or so, somewhere I have a better opportunity to pursue my goals. While progress on that has stalled at the moment, I know I must get onto that very soon, even if part of me doesn’t really want to.
The key reason I’ve been so avoidant of this is because once I move my time with my friends will be over. I feel that I am on the verge of losing the last people I have a connection with, & I know how rare it is for me to find such people. I know this is the only period of time I have left with these people which is why my wish to become an indie game creator feels so secondary right now. I know it feels like a poor excuse but part of me feels I can’t truly get started on that until I’ve left them.
What I’m getting at is I feel I need to do the following:
- Enjoy the time I have with my friends.
- Continue to work on my aspirations but don’t worry if my progress is slow or non-existent; once I’ve moved on I can work on these in earnest.
- Break my personal rule of “one post per weekend” to free up time for both of the above.
Yep, I’m going to be spending less time on this blog, & here’s more specific reasons why:
- I’ve been focusing too much on needing to make posts. This blog started off as a way of getting me on track with my aspirations yet now I’m finding it’s actually getting in the way. By sticking to my personal rule of posting something every weekend I’ve felt obliged to just come up with anything to post as opposed to doing things worthy of posting.
- It takes me a long time to write a post. It’s pretty common for a post, including this one, to take up both of my weekend afternoons, typically because I’m very very picky about what I write, though that hasn’t stopped me from just posting something I’m not really happy with. I could put this time to better use.
- I feel I’ve run out of steam. Even though I have about nine draft posts on random topics, I’m having trouble coming up with good things to post about. The schedule has been good in forcing me to come up with things on a regular basis but there are just times, like recently, where I feel like I’m just spewing bullshit. A break from this will help to refresh my mind.
I do feel a bit loath to do this because:
- I’ve done so well in the past to stick to this schedule.
- It feels like I’m abandoning this blog, even though I don’t plan to (I hope/promise).
So, I’m giving myself permission now to post less. I’m thinking a better approach is to simply post something when I feel I have something worth posting, or at least try to come up with something every month. I’m probably going to spend the next couple weekends getting used to that, e.g. just play games :P. Perhaps I’ll return to a more regular schedule a year from now but for now consider this a relaxation period.
Hopefully I’ll have something by the time May comes around.