Hello, now for a proper update. I have a lot of points I want to make whilst wanting to keep this short-ish so, here’s the run-down:
- Work has reached the point where the 40-hour time sink of boredom is affecting me outside of it, hence my last post/freak out. I remember how much my thoughts determine my own reality so I’ve taken steps to calm them down now. Can’t say I’m completely sane (never have been 😀 ) but my composure is better; I’m able to find time to write this after all. Good news is I’ve had my fixed term contract extended for another six months – yay?
- I’ve been a bit peeved at how much time I spend just trying to write a post when I have plans for other things; I’m a slow writer. Part of it is my dubious time management skills, but also because my current flat is more distracting then the last. The connection in my room is problematic with something happening every five minutes. I’ve been doing blog writing & other internet things in the living room instead, where the TV & game consoles are; it’s rare for someone to not be playing it. I forgot how magnetizing a TV can be.
- Been also feeling frustration again because I keep unconsciously setting aside personal projects in favour of virtually everything else I need to do. This reminds me of a fortune cookie message a flatmate found – “The choice lies between ideals or bread, dignity or survival.”
- I went to see a past lecturer from Polytech recently to seek guidance on IT/career/game making, though this was when my mind was in flux so it was more of a catch-up meeting. I’ve been trying to come up with a good list of questions for the next time I see her, pretty much to do with the next few points.
- Been thinking about alumni study &/or seeking different work. I’m in need of something that will better stimulate my brain & train me to better complete projects from scratch. I guess what I really need is a mentor; I’m really sick of being so unfocused about my projects.
- Been also thinking more seriously about moving north to a city with better opportunities. If you’ve followed my posts from when I was unemployed you may recall how I talked about IT graduate roles in New Zealand & how little there are where I live. Moving to a bigger city, say Wellington, would probably be the best move I can make, for both my personal growth & my career, even in game making. Even though I don’t plan on doing this till the end of the year I feel I’m at the point where I need to seriously plan my next major move.
There is more but I’ll leave it there. Shit, there really has been a lot on my mind, no wonder I felt the way I did.
Oh, one more thing. I’m thinking about joining an indie game site like GameJolt or Itch.io. Despite my introvert tendencies, I do want to meet more people online & sites like these feel like a natural branching point for me. I don’t really have anything to put up on these sites yet so I’ll probably just be playing other people’s games & seeking advice for now. If anyone has any say on these type of sites I’d like to hear it; I’m just lurking at the moment.