Hello, I thought I would take some time to briefly: reflect on the previous year, reflect on this blog, & think about the coming year, in the form of, yet another, reflective post.
To summarise 2014 for me:
- Spent my first year without formal education since about age 5 (which might be a bad thing since I can’t remember much of what I was taught in more recent years).
- Spent almost a full year flatting & caring for myself without support from my parents.
- Become an uncle, twice.
- Went to the doctor for the first time since infancy.
- Got my first job, then left due to health issues.
- Looked deeper into myself & started to change myself for the better by the end of the year.
- Attempted, repeatedly, to do game development stuff.
- Rebuilt my dream recall but had only one brief lucid dream (I think, I can’t quite remember).
- Wrote my first piece of amateur short fiction since high school.
- Starting blogging about 5-6 months ago, & stuck to it.
- + other stuff (some of which my parents might frown upon 😛 ).
Okay, not as productive as I would have liked, but a year I feel was important.
Started off with some big changes, plateaued for a while, then changed some more in the later half. To the outward observer it may seem like a dull year that started with a bang, but from my perspective, the time after the big changes were probably just as important.
I feel I learned some more things about myself, & learned even more about other people in general. It’s probably been the most intensive in learning about the realities of adulthood & what life’s like after school & university. I’ve noticed how my own personal issues are more widely common than I thought they were. I’ve learned I should be more reasonable with myself. Perhaps the biggest thing I learned was that the only true definer of life is the person living it, & I need to find the courage to take charge of it.
As for this blog, I’ve found that I enjoy having a place to put up my thoughts. I’m glad to say I’ve (just barely) been able to stick to my personal goal of posting something at least once a week. I’ve also been pleasantly surprised to find more people take notice of the crap I post here. According to my stats, I seem to be visited by someone on a near daily basis. I’m not about trying to get more views, but I would be lying if I said I don’t get any sense of satisfaction from it; thank you.
I know this blog has strayed from game development towards personal development but that’s because it’s what I’m focusing on at the moment. I will return to my projects in due time but not just yet, I want to at least finish “Change My Life in 7 Days” before getting back into them. I do have a couple other “self-help” type stuff I’d like to try out as well but I don’t want that to be the only thing I do.
As for 2015, I don’t have any set plans, just some goals I’d like to go for.
- Get a job so I don’t have to rely on WINZ for income.
- Continue developing a more positive mind (which I’m glad to say I think I’m already succeeding at that 🙂 ).
- Continue attempts at lucid dreaming & game projects (though I’ve realized there are some things I should have done before starting the game design documents; more on that later).
- Revise what I learned at polytech so it doesn’t go to waste.
- By the end of this year I plan on living in another city, or at least have worked towards this.
Overall, 2015 will probably be another year of great change, but this time I plan to go in with a more positive outlook.